• 2021 MAY ONLINE | LIGHT ON THE FEATURES will be taught by founding faculty Nicole Michelle Tully.
•Our ability to observe and draw with the brush – to make effective abstract structural decisions and to meaningfully light, shape, and design what we observe – is the core matter when we seek to express the character of anything, especially when it comes to the expression of individual features in the subject of portraiture.
To examine this topic, a different video portrait model will pose each week – the same pose filmed from 3 sightlines, and under different lighting conditions from week to week.
The instructor will offer video demonstrations drawn and painted from these video life poses, as well as introductory lectures focusing on each feature: eye, nose, mouth, ears, and the general architecture of the face and head.
Students will make weekly paintings from these pre-recorded video portrait models, filmed at our studios in Paris and Argenton-Chateau, France.
Each week, the instructor will additionally demonstrate and discuss the lighting, structure, and expression of facial features in copies painted after the Old Masters.
• New course content ( video lectures, demonstrations, slideshows, assignments) will be be published online each week by 12:00AM midnight on FRIDAY and SATURDAY night (Paris time – GMT+1), making it available first thing in the morning on Saturday and Sunday, to all students worldwide.
• The class will meet once a week online as a group on SUNDAY, for discussion. Each student will have a 30-minute private critique per week, scheduled on THURSDAY or FRIDAY.
• Instructor will publish a minimum of one video and one slideshow demonstration per week. Each student will have a 30-minute private critique per week. The class will meet once a week online as a group, for discussion..
• 2021 MAY ONLINE | LIGHT ON THE FEATURES will accept a maximum of 18 students.
Course Dates, Online Platforms and Schedule
• The program dates are Sunday, 9 MAY - Friday, 4 JUNE 2021 (4 weeks).
• First online group meeting time and date: SUNDAY, 9 MAY 2021 (exact hours TBA).
• New course content ( video lectures, demonstrations, slideshows, assignments) will be be published online each week by 12:00AM midnight on Friday and Saturday night (Paris time – GMT+1), making it available first thing in the morning on Saturday and Sunday, to all students worldwide./p>
Individual critiques and group meetings will take place weekly on Thursday and Friday.
• Video and slideshow content will be hosted on Vimeo.com, and available only through the Studio Escalier website.
Individual weekly critique and weekly group meetings will take place on Zoom.
• A private Facebook Group will be created for those students who wish to share their work from the class and interact with each other during the course.
The Facebook group will be monitored by the instructor and participation is optional.
• The price for 2021 MAY ONLINE | LIGHT ON THE FEATURES is 650 euros