• 2023 WINTER ONLINE – LIGHT on the FEATURES will be taught by founding faculty Nicole Michelle Tully.
• Instructors will demonstrate and guide students through visual, conceptual and practical concerns in drawing and painting the features: eyes, nose, mouth, ears and general architecture of the face and head.
• Students will have a choice between several views of 3-5 portrait models recorded on high quality video, and will work on multiple paintings during the course of the class.
•Our ability to observe and draw with the brush – to make effective abstract structural decisions and to meaningfully light, shape, and design what we observe – is the core matter when we seek to express the character of anything, especially when it comes to the expression of individual features in the subject of portraiture.
To examine this topic, a different video portrait model will be examined each week – the same pose filmed from 3 sightlines, and under different lighting conditions from week to week.
The instructor will offer video demonstrations drawn and painted from these video life poses, as well as introductory lectures focusing on each feature: eye, nose, mouth, ears, and the general architecture of the face and head.
Students will make weekly paintings from these pre-recorded video portrait models, filmed at our studios in Paris and Argenton-Chateau, France.
Each week, the instructor will additionally demonstrate and discuss the lighting, structure, and expression of facial features in copies painted after the Old Masters.
• New course content ( video lectures, demonstrations, slideshows, assignments) will be be published online each week by 12:00AM midnight on THURSDAY night (Paris time – GMT+2), making it available first thing in the morning on FRIDAY morning, to all students worldwide.
• Weekly online group meeting and instructor lecture-presentation held twice each SUNDAY (1 hour, beginning 9:30AM and 6pm, Paris time, GMT+2).
• Individual critiques will be arranged as required once each week on WEDNESDAY (3-6pm), THURSDAY or FRIDAY(9am- 7pm, Paris time, GMT+2), for 30-45 minutes each
• 2023 WINTER ONLINE – LIGHT on the FEATURES will accept a maximum of 18 students.
Course Dates, Online Platforms and Schedule
• The program dates are Sunday, 2 JANUARY 2022 – Friday, 17 FEBRUARY 2023 (7 weeks).
• First online group meeting time(s) and date: SUNDAY, 2 JANUARY 2023, at 9:30AM and 6:00PM, Paris time (GMT+2).
• Video and slideshow content will be hosted on Vimeo.com, and available only through the Studio Escalier website.
Individual weekly critique and weekly group meetings will take place on Zoom.
• A private Facebook Group will be created for those students who wish to share their work from the class and interact with each other during the course.
The Facebook group will be monitored by the instructor and participation is optional.
• The price for 2023 WINTER ONLINE – LIGHT on the FEATURES is 1350 euros